Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Paradigm Shift - Asking for References

When I first started out working with references I will be honest that it was a little hard hearing no. When I had been a salesperson years ago I was very good and was able to close almost any deal. But here I was as a reference manager getting no and quite a bit. What I started to realize was that no matter how nice I asked sometimes customers just say no. And honestly there's no way to know why they say no. There are many reasons they say why no including they are too busy, company policies, too shy, they aren't satisfied with the product etc. Whatever you do don't take it personal!

Here's the paradigm shift. There are customers who WANT to do these reference requests. Here is an example. I am working on a press request and I got someone who said thank you for asking because they are non-profit and don't have budget to do PR and this helps them with their company PR.

The bottom line is don't assume every customer will say no. Approach every request as if it's going to be a yes! Years ago I learned in sales that having the right positive attitude can really affect your sales and being a reference manager is very much like being a sales person. IF your customer says no, thank them and move on. There is someone out there who is waiting for you to ask them!

Good referencing!